Monday, January 30, 2012

Learning Through Listening

(As an addendum to this article, I would encourage you to reread Blending the Generations (Value 9) from Sweet Sixteen: A study of the core values of the Worship and Arts Ministry of Hope Church, available upon request.)
Since my youth, God, you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds. Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, my God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your mighty acts to all who are to come. {Psalm 71:16-18}

Years ago, I sat in my father’s living room, watching him as he faced the final days of his life. I remember struggling for words to comfort him as he dealt with loss of health, two wives, his ministry, his self- reliance, and worst of all—the vitality of his faith. After listening to him for several hours, I chose to read a portion of Psalm 71 to him and noted the irony. Here I was, the “next generation”, declaring to the previous generation (my dad) the mighty acts of God. And in my mind, turnabout was fair play. I can’t count the times in my life he had instructed me in the faith, encouraged me to trust God, and to trust Him fully with the uncertainty of my future. It only seemed fitting in his last days that I remind him of what he had taught me.

At Hope, we are entering a season of listening to and learning from each other across generations. The pastoral lead team, along with elders, have been studying One Church, Four Generations by Gary L McIntosh together to better understand not only how to communicate with one another, but also how to work together more effectively as the body of Christ. I am praying that each one of you will be a part of this dialogue, attending as many of the scheduled forums as you can. (A reminder that this week’s Builders meeting has been moved to February 26th because of last Sunday’s canceled services).

The way of the world is to isolate or group according to affinity, interest or demographics. Many churches have basically given up trying to do anything intergenerational, especially worship, but we at Hope are asking if this is not another example of letting the world squeeze us into its own mold (Rom 12:1,2).

Let’s be clear. There is nothing wrong with individuality and organizing activities around common interests…until it begins to contradict your basic message of love and unity. Jesus told us exactly how the world would know that He had come—that we have (genuine) love for one another. How does that love happen? Not without dialogue. Not without understanding or empathy. And not, on occasion, without compromise.

We in the worship community have a unique opportunity to lead the charge on this vision. Each week we are entrusted with the privilege and chance to help lead God’s people in the most unifying (potentially, at least) event of their week. We don’t all dress alike, listen to the same music, have the same amount of education or income, attend the same movies or prefer the same political candidates. But worship is that one experience which is supposed to center us on the One in whose very image each of us has been made and for whose very glory we have been created. Think about that: each of us— young and old alike, Republicans and Democrats, rich and poor, black and white, sick and well, technical wizards and technical illiterates, has been made to reflect God. Jesus called us the very salt of the earth, the light of the world. Can you think of a better way to be reminded of that than to engage in a regular activity which celebrates what we share in common, not what distinguishes us?

Want a big dream? Then imagine Hope church being known as a place where all generations worship together, demonstrate a growing love for each other and an increasing respect for one another’s life view. It’s part of the vision of Hope’s staff and elders for all of us to begin living out a more common life together as a witness to others. It’s definitely not the way of the world. But it is, we truly believe, the way of the Word. Hope each of you will join us on this adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment