Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Confessions from a recovering racist…

I remember it like it was yesterday.  April 4, 1968—a chilly spring evening in Austin, Texas where I was attending a Christian university as a freshman.  It was also the day Martin Luther King, Jr. lost his life.  Lost it for being courageous. Lost it for wanting things to change. Lost it for daring to expose a major flaw in the American dream. 

You see, his dream was different. He actually believed what our forefathers had written almost two centuries before was true.  All are created equal.  All persons—every living, breathing soul.   And at his core, Dr. King knew that the words to an old familiar hymn were also true: 

Jesus loves the little children
All the children of the world 
Red and yellow, black and white, 
they are precious in His sight 
Jesus loves the little children of the world

To Martin’s enemies, the only problem with his thinking was that Jesus didn’t love them equally. Or maybe they were content to think “We ain’t Jesus.” Whatever their reason, he died that day for the crime of wanting a different reality, a new way of living, an American dream focused more on life and liberty that merely the pursuit of (one’s own) happiness.

And as much as I deplore this fact, do you know what my first reaction was to this man’s death, tucked safely, as I was, in the confines of that small religious institution?  “WHAT A RELIEF. Thank God someone killed that ‘movement’. Now maybe we can get back to some normalcy.”  Oh, don’t get me wrong.  I would never applaud someone’s cold-blooded murder, in and of itself.  But if one has do die to allow the rest of us to live in relative peace, then so be it.  I was ignorant. I was a bigot in sheep’s clothing. But I was not alone.

Dr. King himself knew all too well that he was swimming upstream, going against the grain, perhaps fighting a losing battle. Pick your metaphor, but perhaps the most painful resistance came from his brothers in the clergy, some of whom urged him to stop upsetting the apple cart.  Many, perhaps in their own weariness, had adopted a “go along to get along” philosophy long ago.  Five years prior to his death, Martin wrote these words from a Birmingham jail to this very fraternity:

“I came across your recent statement calling my present activities "unwise and untimely." Seldom do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas. Since I feel that you are men of genuine good will and that your criticisms are sincerely set forth, I want to try to answer your statement in what I hope will be patient and reasonable terms.

“… I am in Birmingham because injustice is here. Just as the prophets of the eighth century B.C. left their villages and carried their "thus saith the Lord" far beyond the boundaries of their home towns, and just as the Apostle Paul left his village of Tarsus and carried the gospel of Jesus Christ to the far corners of the Greco Roman world, so am I compelled to carry the gospel of freedom beyond my own home town. Like Paul, I must constantly respond to the Macedonian call for aid.

“Moreover, I am cognizant of the interrelatedness of all communities and states. I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Never again can we afford to live with the narrow, provincial "outside agitator" idea. Anyone who lives inside the United States can never be considered an outsider anywhere within its bounds.”


How profound were his insights, not only for the issues of his day, but for what we, as Americans, face today. Martin Luther King, like all true followers of Christ, sought to be an extremist for love, for justice, and for peace.  His faith, propelled by the saving grace of Christ in his life, would not allow him to stand idly by as others suffered at the hand of the other extremists—those promoting ignorance and hate, separation and conformity. 

Today, we face a similar challenge.  While the presenting issue for Dr. King was the national cancer of racism, his fundamental issue was the tyranny of lovelessness. If King were alive today, I don’t think he would be limiting his marches to matters of race.  True, racism exists in many, if subtler, forms today, but lovelessness also manifests itself in our public discourse on topics ranging from political preferences to individual rights, religion, and community values.  It is exposed in our growing inability to disagree with one another agreeably. And at its ugliest, it has reared its head in the form of Islamic extremism, an ideology which seeks to annihilate every person and belief system counter to its own.

To all of this, I believe Martin would say, rise up, Church!  Rise up, people of God.  Oppose injustice at every level, whether it affects you directly or not.  Don’t let your silence be deafening.  As Edmund Burke once wrote, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [people] to do nothing.

My original title for this article was “Confessions of a former racist.”  As I examine my heart each day, reacting to the struggles of people unlike me culturally, ethnically or otherwise, I realize I am still a work in progress.  But what I do know is that I am changing.  Christ is changing me. And today, I don’t see change in itself as a threatening thing.  It’s what we are becoming that really matters.  But it starts with a dream. 

tad

No comments:

Post a Comment