Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Lady
Forty three years ago today, I made the second best commitment of my life when I said “I do” to my precious wife, Debby.  Fortunately for me, she didn’t say “I don’t”, and equally important…she stayed!  Every now and then you hear someone say the phrase, “I love you more today than yesterday, but less than tomorrow.” Sounds kind of corny, but in my experience, it is absolutely the case.  Deb is like a diamond mine, and every day there is a new treasure to discover about her and a new reason to thank God for her. 

A few years ago, I sat down to write a poem about her, and my thoughts turned to various parts of her. Some are quite visible to the naked eye.  Others are only known by me and her Maker.  But if ever the phrase “greater than the sum of its parts” were true, it’s true about my lady.  No description can scratch the surface of how these parts of her give life to those around her, from her three children and eight grandchildren, to her very blessed husband…all the way “down” to the young man she encounters at a checkout stand or the lady who assists her on a machine at Curves.  Debby oozes the love of God, and though not perfect, she has never stopped pursuing Jesus or those around her.  This is just bit of what I know of her…

Eyes

that sparkle with an inner light
shine me to a place of safety,
knowing God
looks through those eyes
to pursue me,
accept me,
trust me,
relentlessly drawing me,
inviting me,
loving me.

Ears

that listen
like few others,
deciphering, discerning
the real issues
from the rabble,
the genuine from the counterfeit;
that pursue
the radio frequency
of the still small Voice
over the din of all others.

Hands

that wash the feet
of those she loves
in a thousand ways;
some noble,
some unnoticed,
all exacting the costly price
of self-will.
She spends and is spent
 spreading the fragrance of Jesus,
Losing a little more of her
to know much more of Him.

Feet

that move swiftly,
deliberately
to encourage,
lighten loads,
share burdens,
 urge onward,
expose deception,
offer hope,
and, when stumbling,
sense the security
and surety
of her Shepherd’s arms.

Lips

that speak His name
to a soul-mate whose faith can falter,
to the children she bore, now entrusted to others,
to the grandchildren she loves like life itself,
to friends far and near,
to total strangers in the marketplace,
or just to anyone who will listen; and

Tongue

that once sang His praises
with notes that angels envied;
those tones now muted
give way to outstretched arms
borne of joy and adversity--
the pain and pleasure of one
so hurt, so healed.

Heart

overflowing,
breaking,
broken,
open, uplifted,
softening to
His Word,
His world,
yielding another day
to the Breath of life,
the Lover of her soul. 

I said that marrying her was the second best commitment I ever made.  No, she is not my second wife, though sometimes I kiddingly introduce her as my first.  Topping the list of all my commitments would have to be the day I gave my life to Jesus, my Savior, and along with Deb, committed our future(s) to Him. I know marriages have lasted as long and even longer without Jesus at the center of them, but as for me, I can’t imagine wanting anything else.  Or anyone else.  I love you, Deb.

tad

No comments:

Post a Comment